New York’s little Stonehenge is to be found just south of the Lemon Creek Pier in Mount Loretto State Park on Staten Island. The GPS location is 40.506552,-74.213588. I’ll be adding this to the list of day trips we’ll do this Spring, hence this post being still under construction.
Still to research: urbanspoon.com for a local brunch and geocaching.com for some local caches to find. Unfortunately the old orphanage on this property burnt to the ground in 2000, so there is no urban exploring to do — that I’m aware of yet.
Update 11/23/2011: NYT’s City Room reports that Doug Schwartz has been prohibited from stacking more rocks in Andy’s Newman’s post A Cease-and-Desist for a Sculptor on the Shore.
Brunch: When I think of Staten Island I think of the movie Working Girl, so I’m inclined towards an American Diner for this occasion …
- Andrew’s Diner (718) 227-7768 4160 Hylan Blvd., Staten Island, NY 10308
- Royal Crown Bakery (718) 668-0284 1350 Hylan Blvd., Staten Island, NY 10305
- Black Dog Grill (718) 442-8121 382 Forest Ave, Staten Island, NY 10301 http://www.stillzgrill.com (unfortunately a little off track from where we’re headed on the island)
- Cargo Cafe (718) 876-0539 120 Bay St., Staten Island, NY 10301 http://www.cargocafe.com (another that is quite a bit off track from where we’re headed on the island, but maybe on the return?)
Geocaching: Caches listed within a mile of the co-ordinates …
- Folded Sand & Missing Time by Magicsteve (GCPBAM)
- The Mount I by Brian,Lauren&Mom (GCQE4X)
- Up Lemon Creek Without a Paddle by Brian,Lauren&Mom (GCGZX1)
- Lemon Creek’s secret spot by s.i.geocachers (GC2E9MR)
Urban Exploring: Research to come.
Suggested links: This post mentioned in NYT’s City Room A Cease-and-Desist for a Sculptor on the Shore by Andy Newman | Staten Island Rock Sculptures at Thirteen | Mount Loretto Beach Rock Garden on Atlas Obscura | Stone art installation near Lemon Creek pier washed away by storm on SI Live | Mt. Loretto’s Rock Sculptures on Forgotten NY