Skip navigation

Tag Archives: Mac OS X

So by now you may be aware that Apple only supports Time Machine on internal, directly connected or volumes shared wirelessly via AirPort, right? Why not regular Network Attached Storage (NAS) volumes? Because they’re unsupported at this time. So let’s run with that risk here and experiment with using an unsupported NAS volume. Read More »

Advertisements

If you feel compelled to force quit Safari because it has apparent stopped responding — and then find that it hangs on re-launch — you may try this first: Have a little patience!

It may be busy, not hung. Launch your Activity Monitor application, select Safari and then click on the Sample Process button. A window opens and takes a sample of the app’s activity for a few seconds and presents the results. If it’s doing something, give it a few more minutes. Go make a cup of tea. By the time you get back it may have finished what it needed to do — cleaning up some big mess. Safari eventually launches, or it did in my case.

Of course if the Activity Monitor doesn’t show Safari busy doing something then giving it more time to do nothing isn’t helpful. I followed a lot of web advice, to no avail, such as …
Go>Go to folder… finding /var/folders/ and opening up all the private caches to find the folder com.apple.Safari and deleting its contents or deleting files from Users/~/Library/Safari etc.
… perhaps one of these may do it for you.

For the record: I’m on an Intel MacBook, under Mac OS X 10.6.2 using Safari 4.0.4.

I tried a Software Update today, found a couple of items and decided to install them — but on download I got an error message that read “none of the checked updates could be saved” and “you do not have appropriate access privileges”!

Focusing on privileges, I figured I must do a Disk Repair on my privileges. No go. What my system was trying to tell me was that folders for these updates already existed in my Library/Updates folder — and that I didn’t have permission to overwrite them. I had to go in and delete these folders manually (my index.plist didn’t have to be deleted).

When I ran the updates again it worked. Lesson learned.